Tuesday, November 9

trip to yarn store...

Why is it that no matter how little I am into a project. I feel the urge to cast on for another one. More on that in a little bit.
I got 13" done on Amber's scarf last night. Not too shabby, huh? I got to leave work early today. It was going to be dead and she needed me more for tomorrow than on today.
So, what did I do with my time this morning? I went to AZ knit and needlepoint. I decided that I would give it another try there and see if the service would be any better. I always think that I should give a place at least 2 trys before they are out. Well, they are out! I go in there and there are about 6 people in the shop and 2 obvious customers. I am in there for a good 20 minutes before I even get said hello to. I happened to remember that the felting wool is in the back room on the back wall. While I am back there trying to decide on the colors I want, I over hear them talking about how sad it is knowing that this knitting phase is going to be over in a couple of years and but at least then they can get back to real yarn and real patterns. This has made me fully mad by this time. I didn't have a lot of time or I would have gone to another shop but this one was close and I needed wool. I finally decide that I am not going to be asked if I need help and then go over to the table and ask if there is any other wool around besides the stuff on the back wall. One woman with out bothering to look up says, yes, on the other side of the wall next to it! WELL DUH! I do get a nicer lady to come and help me with it but half way through helping me she walks off and sits back down at the table and starts reading a magazine. Speaking of magazines, I am ready to pay but I realize that I want to get the new Interweave Knits. I walk back to the table because there is no one up at the register and they can't see me from the table and ask if they have the new issue. I get told in a gruff tone that they don't carry IK. Okay, I tell them I am ready to pay then. I go back up and wait for about 5 minutes and then have to go back again and tell them that I want to pay. Another woman plops her knitting down and moans and groans as she is getting up. I finally pay and thankfull to get out of there.
This whole trip has confirmed that I am never going back to that store. I once again got horrible service. I don't understand this. I am going there, spending good money, and then get huffed and puffed at. GRR...

Back to the starting a new project. I got the wool to make Amy's slippers. They are going to be knit in a plain green. I am not sure if I am going to put soles on the bottom or not but I they are going really fast. I worked on them when I got home and I have the cuff done. Cool huh?

Happy Knitting.

3 comments:

Jack and Nicholas said...

Hi Becky -

Well, you know how I feel about AZ Knit - I will never darken their door again either. I wish you had asked them what "real" patterns and "real" yarn were. Sheesh.

I can't wait to see the new book - you're definately the most famous one in our group!

- Brooke

Anonymous said...

About AZ Knitting-- I could write a book about my experiences there! BTW--Fellow stitch in bitch nation girl-- have you gotten your copy from the Queen-Mum Debbie? I haven't received mine yet, and I am dying to see my name in print!!!!-- Not as famous as you, but at least I made it in the book!

Amy in AZ

Anonymous said...

Slipper tip...I cannot for the life of me remember where I found this. For the slippers I just made, I used puffy paint on the soles, instead of buying and attaching the suede soles. My dad's been wearing them and he says they've got good traction and aren't leaving marks. Of course they were felted and had double thick soles, so wear wasn't an issue. And those slippers were green too! And congrats on the book coming out!
Pam